Lisa's Great Adventure:Oh My God! After 27 Hours (and almost 6 years of talking about it) We are here! It hasn't really sunk in yet... We got to the airport around 5:15am. I thought Sandhya was going to die she was so excited! After a few minutes through immigration, and luggage line we were off on our great adventure! Rahul picked us up (with a driver, of course) and we drove through the streets of Shamshabad to Banjara Hills in Hyderabad.
We saw a guy on a scooter, carrying a goat. I thought, "Oh, how cute! Look at those square eyes". Then Sandhya told me he was likely off to the slaughter--much to my dismay...
Sandhya's sister-in-law and mother were waiting for us on the steps to the house when we got here. Rajesweri (Sandhya's sister-in-law) is very sweet and friendly. She calls Sandhya "kuti" or "old dog." Sandhya's mom was very loving and friendly and gave me a big hug. Yay!! I was very nervous she wouldn't like me... So, everything is good.
We go into the house and get the tour. I see where all the stories have taken place. We are sleeping in Rahul's old lair in the front of the house (downstairs). We see Sandhya's old bedroom (where she spent some of her early adulthood) and it looks a lot like her bedroom on Walnut street. I mention this to her later and she says, "huh, I never thought about that." It was quite clear to me though that that room was the last place she had been before coming to Boulder.
We had breakfast of mangoes (they really are just inexplicably good! It's a very complex flavor)and upma (kind of like cream of wheat with veggies) and then took a 6 hour nap. We missed the hottest part of the day, so I'm still not sure what's in store in terms of heat. I have to say though, they really do manage the heat well here. There are all kinds of tricks and the lassi is delicious (cooling drink of yogurt, curry leaves, corriander powder, mint, etc.).
When we woke up we had tea (lipton green label of course) and then I took a walk with Anna (sandhya's dad). It was quite beautiful at dusk. It reminded me of Central Park in a way. It was like a little bit of nature admidst the noise and traffic of the city. There is a central part of the place we were walking that has a mosque in it (which I wanted to see) but it was closing. Maybe tomorrow...
People are so much more flow adjusting here. They'd have to be, the traffic is crazy! People just weave in and out of each other. It's kind of like dancing and quite beautiful.
The walk with Anna can be summed up in the following observations... There are many different kinds of Oggling.
1. Men with wives= they say with their eyes, "I'm with this woman, so I'm going to be tame, but my eyes say it all...given the chance..."
2. Women and children= they say with their faces, "what the hell is that gori (white woman) doing with the older Indian man."
3. Men= they say with their whole bodies, "I am going to eat you alive!!"
It's quite crazy. This can be subtle and also not so subtle. There is much to track and understand and one is always "on" here. I think it will take some time for me to adjust.
I am taking good care of myself--with all my lotions and potions I brought, and am really quite happy. It's fun to see Sandhya in her element and I'm not quite as anxious as I thought I would be-- which is a nice surprise. It really helps that I've met Anna and Rahul before. I feel more at ease.
Raisa is delightful (Rahul's daughter--many compliments from her about my skirt and necklace, etc) and very easy going. We found out that she shas the same superpower as her fellow Cancerian Erica -- she remembers what she has worn on which occasion. 5-year old Rishabh is a terror but also delightful! He and I played "pakdho" or "catch me" forever tonight. He's hilarious and very stubborn! That kid would not let up! We were running up and down and round and round while Anna and Bindi (sandhya's mom) laughed hysterically (apparently they have to play like this with him every night and it was quite a relief that I took over--I'm sure it's much easier to watch; he's intense!).
Sandhya's great adventure: DC, Kuwait (where there were more Indians than Arabs...but then we are everywhere ;) and then a mere five hours alter, HYDERABAD. The old Begumpet (tr. Stomch of the Begum) Airport is no longer being used, other than for private planes, my brother tells me . That used to be a short 10-15 minute drive from home, but now there is this new big one, just a month old, and on a good day, like this morning -- early Sundaymorning) it si about an hour. I can't fill my eyes enough, watching hungrily to see what's changed, is changing and what I can still recognize, somewhere under that old and spanky new merging.
We've been taking taking "no jet lag" pills during our trip to ward of the old JL, and I feel like I will not be sleeping for a long time.
Wait! There's a cart laden with mangoes! The one justifiation I can use for arriving here in the thick of summer -- mmman-gosmmm. My brother's (Rahul) car plays Dev Anand film songs (60s), which Lisa already knows well from hearing them pretty much every day in Boulder.
Customs andf immigration is so smooth I can hardly believe it. It's nice to have a passport of the country you are visiting. Outside the airport, I am happily surrounded by crowds of waiting families, and the frontline of "taxi, taxi madam? Will nothing annoy me for now? Noooo.
I check off the places I can still recognize -- Sarojini Devi Eye Hospital, where I've had myriad eye test and contemplated lasik surgery several years ago, there is the dusty narrow road to the Passport office, and there the ChaCha Nehru Park (no, not Nehru taking to the floor, but him being referred to as 'uncle' Nehru, as a whole generation of children were taught to think of him -- chacha -- father's younger brother.
Road no. 12? Where is it? Rahul: "we're on it". What?! This is Road 12? Multi-storeyed building, large stiore windows?
No wonder I could not find it on google 3d.
And just then, we are there: the short turn to the left, and three houses down the hill, and there it is: no. 175. How many times have I done this in my nostalgic imagination? Taken that turn and stopped outside the gate?
Mom and Rajeswari (Rahul's wife) are sitting on the steps of the house, and as I step out of the car, I know I have won my bet with Lisa. Yes, they say it together: 'oh yes, you are really so fat'. Sweetness and kindness is a wonderful family trait. Somehow, it seems to have slipped by my family in a hurry. I am meeting my mother after 7 years.
I have tried to make some meaning of those seven years. Maybe some day, but for now, I don't know where to rest my eyes, and try to remember to keep breathing. I am from Boulder, aren't I?
Mangos for breakfast, as per my request. Himayat mangos, first among my top two flavors. Rasaal, which is my other is not in the market yet. My mother tells me she won't buy the early ripened ones because they are rush-ripened "with acid". So, happily, we are still doing fruits seasonally. Anway, back to Rasaal -- these are large (about 8 inches long) bulky mangos. The best way to think of them is like a juice with high pulp content that you drink/suck up/chew right from its natural packing. A picture will explain it best, and as soon as I get my hands on one. there will be one up here (sorry just the picture, not the fruit).
There might be an ayurvedic massage in the very near future. And since I did not bring too many clothes with me, we are also to be soon on our first shopping spree. Two of my favorite stores from Delhi now have branches here, so I shall soon look decent again.
And in line of getting my suffering gall bladder attended to, I have my first appointment with the gastroentrologist tomorrow morning. Then maybe I can consume more mangos, idlis, dosas, coconut chutney...you know where my heart lies, right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
YAY!!! I'm so glad you're there and enjoying yourselves. Keep writing!! <3 <3 Love, Martine
I love it! Both your writing tansports me to someplace so new and tasting of succulent mango! Love you, Kristen
Post a Comment